Jack D. Michaels Resource Center
The Jack D. Michaels Resource Center is ideally suited for casual visitors, students working on papers, and the Civil War enthusiast. Resource Center staff and volunteers are happy to assist you in Civil War research.
The Resource Center is a non-circulating library. A computer, printer, and photocopier are available for research. You may bring your personal laptop. Most items may be photocopied for a nominal fee. Children are welcome.
Over 2,200 bound volumes are available to visitors in open stacks for browsing. Resource Center materials are for reference only and cannot be checked out.
Our collection of periodicals includes:
- American Civil War (1988-present)
- American History Illustrated (1966-1997)
- Blue & Gray (1983-present)
- Camp Chase Gazette (2005-2008)
- Civil War Society (1987-2008)
- Civil War Times (1960-present)
- Confederate Veteran (bound by year, 1893-1932)
- North & South (1998-present)
- Military Images (index)
Maps and Charts
We have maps of specific battlefields, the United States in the 1860s, and routes of the Underground Railroad. Our chart collection includes famous Union and Confederate generals, uniforms, and arms of the war.
The resource center holds 85 rolls of rare Wisconsin microfilm. This includes the Wisconsin Red and Blue books, as well as an assortment of Wisconsin newspapers from the Civil War era.
Copies of Primary Source Materials
A listing of letters, diaries, pension records, and photos from soldiers and civilians from the six states of the Upper Middle West.
Links to Finding Aids
The links below will lead you to finding aids for the copies of primary source materials held in the Resource Center. If you wish to see a specific collection, we recommend that you call us at 262-925-5727 in advance.
- Almon Smith Collection, 5th Wisconsin Light Artillery
- Eugene Burr Collection, 3rd Wisconsin Light Artillery
- James Cavenaugh Collection, Co. D, 6th Wisconsin Infantry
- Alvah Burgess Collection, Co. D, 5th Wisconsin Infantry
- Abram Snyder Collection, 3rd Wisconsin Calvary
- David Wood Collection, Co. A, 13th Wisconsin
- Cornelia Heg Collection
- John Francis Murray Collection, Co. C, 17th Wisconsin
- Amos Brown Collection, Co. A, 16th Wisconsin
- Friedrich Holtz Collection, Co. G, 45th Wisconsin
- George Wait Collection, Co. D, 32nd Wisconsin
- Charles Wickesberg, Co. H, 26th Wisconsin
- Adam Youngblood Collection, Co. G, 17th Wisconsin
- George Wren Collection, Co. B, 13th United States Infantry
- William Euen Collection, 20th Wisconsin
- Louis J. Lamson Collection, Co. A, 30th Wisconsin
- James S. Towne Collection, Co. A, 32nd Wisconsin
- Pvt. Thomas E. Stuard (Stewart) Collection, Co. E, 47th Illinois
- Sgt. John M. Noyes, Co. I, 92nd Illinois
- Captain Evangelist J. Gilmore Collection, Co. B, 96th Illinois Infantry
- George Winkle Collection, Co. D, 107th Illinois Infantry
- Sgt. Oliver Cromwell Kinley, Co. I, 10th Iowa
- Chaplain Uriah Eberhart, 20th Iowa
- Henry L. Sholts, Co. C, 38th Iowa
- Peter L. Foust, Co. C, 19th Indiana
- Jacob Ebersol Collection, Surgeon, 19th Indiana
- Henry F. Garver Collection, Assistant Surgeon, 19th Indiana
- David Van Buskirk Collection, Co. F, 27th Indiana
- George Monroe Collection, Co. B, 4th Indiana Cavalry
- James Pond Collection, 3rd Wisconsin Cavalry
- Frank Sevey Collection, Co. A, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry
- Charles Perry Goodrich
Simon Wolf’s Wisconsin Roster
How to use Simon Wolf’s Wisconsin Roster
We have room for more. If you are interested in donating any books or materials to the Resource Center, please contact us at 262-653-4141.